Thursday, January 14, 2010

Decompressing the day.

After my professor filibusted about filibusters in Legislation today, I really needed some decompression. I signed up to sub a yoga class tonight a few weeks ago... thank goodness I did.

It was a beginner class. Beginners can go to any class at my studio, but the beginner level focuses on the basic poses and really coaches you through them. What a great piece to the first week of practice! It was great to reconnect to the poses and really see what I'm supposed to be doing with them. When doing my 20 minute practices at home this week, I sometimes wished I had the guidance I do when at the studio. By going to this class, I relearned some things I was doing wrong.

It was also a great reminder that I am by no means a yoga pro. My body has come a long way since starting yoga, but I have a loooooooong way to go. The practice is ever evolving, and I am grateful for that.

I missed my meditation this morning. Well, not entirely. I woke up a half-hour late, rushed around to get ready, and had about 4 minutes right before I left to get something in. We're supposed to do 5 minutes each morning and night this week. So, I stood there, in my jacket, holding my tea, closed my eyes, and focused on breathing.

Surprisingly, the three minutes I stood there was some of the best meditation I've had yet. I took all the stress of getting ready and left it there. I set an intention for the day. I let my shoulders relax. It was wonderful. I really enjoyed those three minutes, maybe more than any other today.

I also had the chance several times today to work on reactivity. I think I did okay with it. The emotion flared up, I felt it, dealt with it, dealt with it, dealt with it... and finally let it go. I get upset about really dumb things... like when to cross the street. That neeeeeeeeds to stop.

I may also have a caffeine problem. I didn't think I did, but it might be the answer to my headache issues. Investigating.

Tomorrow will be my rest day, I think. I've felt so off all week, it's probably important to let myself have the day tomorrow. Rest is good for the soul. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment