Monday, January 11, 2010

Meditation...

"You can observe a lot just by watching." -Yogi Berra.

So this meditation thing is just as difficult to start as everyone warned me it would be.

I'm hoping to use the meditative part of this program to cool my reactivity and relax in the chaos of all my to-do lists. It's not an easy thing to do. I make to-do lists so what needs done sticks with me. The point of the awareness style meditation we're practicing in these 40 days is letting your thoughts go and not obsessing over them. This means focusing on nothing, but when a thought comes to you, recognize it, then let it pass. So what, I'm supposed to just let my constantly nagging to-do list out of my head?

In a word, yes.

But I haven't even gotten there yet. This week I'm supposed to start with 5 minutes of meditation each morning and evening. I'm so distracted by outside noise of general apartment living (showers going, doors slamming, babies crying) it's hard to get a grip on focusing in the first place, and by the time I do, the 5 minutes is over. I'm too busy worrying about shutting out everything going on around me that what's in my head hasn't had a chance to surface yet. I could use some more time on this... thankfully, I get it. Plenty of time.

Taking another 75 minute class tonight... I'm sore today from yesterday's workout. I'm thankful for two days of 20 minute classes coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment