Wednesday, January 27, 2010

JUST BE.

I rolled out of bed this morning, exhausted from a short night of sleep, only lulled out of bed by my yoga mat calling my name. I got on my mat and started going through the motions. Knowing the opening positions by heart, I went through them while thinking about what I needed to accomplish today.

Opening sun salutations were fine - I was moving enough that I could focus on my next pose and not have much time to wander away. But when I started to hold poses for longer periods of time, my mind left the yoga mat. I didn't really think much about it. I did think, "Wow, this hasn't been a really fulfilling practice so far." When I reached the standing balancing poses, I couldn't balance. I kept falling out of the poses, tripping over myself and not getting anything from them.

And then it hit me. I wasn't in my practice. I was thinking about everything else I had to do and not focusing on the moment at hand. I wasn't allowing myself to just BE there and enjoy what I was doing. As soon as I realized this and put my energy toward focusing on my practice, everything came into balance. I was able to get something out of the practice rather than wasting 45 minutes of my morning with mindless physical work.

Not allowing myself to BE in a moment is a problem that transcends the yoga mat in my life. Sitting in class in law school, I'm on the internet and doing all the "other" things I need to be doing... crossing things off my to-do list while the professor talks at me. But I learn so very much more when I engage and AM in the class. Yes, there are plenty of other things to be accomplishing, but I need to BE in that classroom. When I'm studying I need to be eating or distract myself with something outside the reading, music or whatever, instead of reading and investing in the words. In my relationships, I need to be doing something at all times - I have trouble just sitting and being with people.

I need to work on just being. Engaging. Focusing in on the moment at hand. Everything will get done... no point worrying about the next five minutes, five days, or five years from now. Enjoy more of this moment, and stress relief will come.

With that said... I'm gonna go enjoy a moment or two. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment