Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Headache.

I'm having a hard time taking my mind off of Haiti tonight. My "issues" seem so small compared to what the people there are undertaking at the moment. But for now... personal reflection.

The timing of this 40 day journey is perfect and awful, all at the same time. It began the day before the first day of the semester. Perfect because the workload isn't heavy in the beginning, it gives me a way to incorporate new habits early and simultaneously start anew. Awful because getting used to a new semester is always discombobulated, stressful and tiring, I don't have a set pattern to inject yoga practice in to, and I could use some time to settle in.

But life rarely lets you "settle in", right?

I'm basically whining. I've had these crazy headaches from lack of a sleep pattern, I suppose, for the past three days. They settle in around around 1:30 and kill my mood and certainly the rest of my day. I've been cutting out excesses in my diet, so I haven't let myself go grab the afternoon Starbucks I think will help (but I'm not a caffeine fiend, so this might be wishful thinking). I've tried caffeine free tea, yoga, rest... nothing kills it. I finally gave in with some ibuprofen (and ice cream!) today. But that's not what I want.

I know I've only been in school three days, but it feels like an eternity, and the new yoga-mediation schedule has been tough to get used to. Struggling through these headaches has made it even more difficult.

In good news, I had a really good, focused practice this morning and a good morning meditation. I had the chance to do this week's meditation questions last night. They pointed to different areas of my life and asked me how I felt about them. There are so many things that could really use some focus and attention. Each question brought up something different I would love to address. But I've gotta keep plugging away at the two areas I've chosen.

Did I mention that I randomly chose a journal for this journey that includes Bible verses at the bottom of each page? I just noticed it last night. Awareness and presence.

1 comment: